Wednesday 26 February 2014

Stay Socket Bracket In Place

The Bracket I found in my 'Fantastic Find' is the only one of the eight with countersunk fasteners being used to fix it to the Headstock.  When I first found the seven brackets, which have varying amounts of offset or 'Joggle' away from the Stay Socket, I thought the smaller bells would have less joggle and the larger more joggle.  I had noticed that the hole centres for the fasteners appeared to be unique to each one, that would make them fool proof, as each would only fit its own headstock.  Offering up the latest find to see where it fitted, it went on the 3rd so that's where I assumed it belonged.

 The Bracket shown loosely fixed in position.  When the bell is Up the bracket will interface with the Cow Horn above the Stay Track, ie it will be pointing 180 deg the other way.

A slightly different view showing how close the Bracket comes to the Gudgeon (shaft which rotates in the bearing)  Also just in shot, the top of the Plain Bearing housing.
When I got the Bracket home and started to clean it ready for painting, I found four dimples on the face; it belonged to the 4th not the 3rd!  Just shows, one should never assume.  I'll need to do more investigation now as two Headstocks have the same fastener centres, therefore not drilled to make them failsafe when fitted.

The semi-cleaned bracket showing the very slight amount of Joggle.  This item is Wrought I think.  The end has been worked in a Blacksmith's Forge, heated up then hammered to Upset and thicken the end, followed by forming of the finished Joggle to interface with the Cowhorn.

No comments:

Post a Comment